Executive Director--QUEST Community Health Centre
Executive Director -- QUEST Community Health Centre
Quest Community Health Centre is seeking a dynamic, strategic, and visionary leader as Executive Director to build on the strengths of our past accomplishments and steer our organization to new heights in supporting individuals experiencing social, economic and cultural barriers in our community.
Quest Community Health Centre (Quest) is a non-profit registered charitable organization providing primary health care, health promotion, and community capacity building to residents of the Greater St. Catharines area within the Niagara Region.
Our staff is made up of a wide range of interdisciplinary health care providers working in a shared care team model. Our focus is on the delivery of client centred holistic health care that seeks to remove barriers to care as well as address the Social Determinants of Health. Our team includes client coordinators, doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, dietitians, health promoters, community outreach workers, outreach social workers, outreach nurses, therapists, and community health workers along with other volunteer health professionals such as our dentists, dental hygienists, and dental assistants and chiropractors.
Quest CHC is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of community leaders, professionals, and other representatives. We are funded from various sources with the majority of funding provided by the Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant (HNHB) Local Health Integration Network (LHIN). Other sources of funding include the Greenshield Canada Foundation, the Fowler Family Foundation, and Henry Shein Cares Foundation, Inc.
We support individuals experiencing social, economic and cultural barriers by providing primary healthcare services and promoting wellness, community and social justice.
A healthy and engaged community that participates, collaborates, celebrates and grows.
We embrace individual resilience, clients being the experts for their own lives, clients as leaders, and clients’ goals guiding the services we provide.
Integrity and Accountability
We value the confidence that our clients and the community have placed in us, and we work diligently to ensure that this confidence will always be well founded.
We value partnering to achieve our mission and vision, and a climate of mutual support and harmony to maximize healing, human potential, and community.
Social Justice, Equity and Access
We take action as allies and advocates for social change. We are committed to reducing barriers to access and achieving equitable, inclusive and respectful primary health care for all.
Quest encourages critical thinking, open communication and the exploration of new ideas and practices in order to create a stronger and more responsive primary health care system.
We support a culture of continuous learning in order to better serve our clients and community.
The Executive Director is responsible for the effective management, leadership, and day-to-day operations of the Quest Community Health Centre according to the policies, strategic directions, and budgeting guidelines established by the Board of Directors.
Reports to: The Board of Directors
Direct Reports: Program Director, Finance Coordinator, Administrative Coordinator,
Executive Assistant/Human Resource Coordinator
- Serve as the organization's ambassador by ensuring the vision, mission and principles of Quest Community Health Centre are being met in the day-to-day operations of the organization
- Provide leadership to all operations, human and financial resources, facilities and programs of the organization in accordance with the organization's strategic plan, Multi Sector Service Accountability Agreement, Quality Improvement Plan and accreditation requirements
- Ensure that Quest’s priority populations are consulted and engaged in the organization through volunteer opportunities, advisory groups, focus groups, and external functions as required
- Develop and implements an operational plan that is aligned with the organization's overall goals, objectives and strategic plan
- Ensure that an optimum level and quality of service delivery is in place to meet the needs of Quest’s priority populations
- Monitor and analyzes trends, demographics and other sources of internal and external information in relation to its impact on the organization
- Ensure that needs assessments with various target groups are conducted and appropriate programs and services are planned and implemented by front line staff in response to community needs
- Advocate for healthy public policy and access to resources required to support Quest’s priority populations or broader community issues in accordance with the social determinants of health
- Assist with planning and implementation of organizational events such as fundraising and special events
- Represent the organization in collaboration with the Board Chair to other organizations, the media and the public at large
- Contribute to the development and promotion of Quest in St. Catharines and the Region of Niagara and as a sector in Ontario
- Champion the model of Health and Wellbeing developed by the Alliance for Healthier communities https://www.allianceon.org/model-health-and-wellbeing
- Advocate for a harm reduction approach for client services.
- Ensure the development, maintenance and auditing of a comprehensive and confidential system of corporate, human resources, financial and client care records consistent with applicable legislation.
- Develop, report on, update management info systems in the areas of policy, statistics, & service delivery
- Ensure confidentiality and privacy of all health information by monitoring the development, maintenance and auditing of a comprehensive system of records for the CHC
- Ensure the development and implementation of evaluation systems related to all aspects of the organization to meet funder performance indicators/standards
- Develop, establish and implement review processes for organization’s policies and procedures
- Ensure mechanisms are in place to regularly inform the community at large of organization activities
- Provide resources and advice to the Board of Directors to support their governance responsibilities
- Help facilitate Board decision-making through the provision of administrative support and appropriate and accurate research, statistics, and advice
- Implement the policy decisions and directives of the Board of Directors
- Act as a resource to the ongoing development, and lead the implementation of the organization's strategic plan as set by the Board of Directors
- Uphold and adhere to the by-laws of the organization in collaboration with the Board
- Report regularly to the Board of Directors and ensure that the Board is informed of appropriate organization activities, opportunities or concerns.
- Advise the Board of Directors in a timely fashion of any development which may pose a significant risk to the organization.
- Act in accordance with the Executive Director limitations defined in board policy
- Ensure adequate levels of staff are in place to meet organizational and community needs by attracting, hiring, supporting credentialing, developing and maintaining competent staff in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and other applicable legislation
- Develop and sustain a productive and inclusive work environment.
- Ensure systems are in place to evaluate staff and to support their professional development
- Monitor the organization's administration of employee benefits
- Ensure a system is in place to oversee the management of volunteers including the recruitment, training, supervision and recognition of volunteers
- Develop the annual budget in accordance with the organization's strategic plan
- Manage the financial resources of the organization in collaboration with the Board Treasurer and Accountant
- Ensure that the annual audit, monthly financial reports, and quarterly reports for the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, the Local Health Integration Network and other funders and donors are completed in a timely fashion
- Approve all financial distributions and monitors all financial activities of the organization to ensure expenditures conform to the approved budget
- Optimize sources of revenue through the development of funding proposals and budget submissions for federal, provincial, municipal levels of government, foundations, local service clubs and churches, and overseeing fundraising plans
- Develop and maintain positive and strategic partnerships with funders, community organizations, institutions and the community at large
- Ensure Quest is represented at all appropriate planning tables/ Community Committees
- Liaise with community agencies and organizations for the purpose of developing partnerships, planning, support, referral and increasing community awareness about Quest and the CHC model.
- Liaise with community representatives and service agencies, participates in committees, task forces and Board of Directors of community and network organizations
- Contribute to the knowledge base of the Hamilton, Niagara, Haldimand, Brant LHIN, Ministry of Health and other key stakeholders through consultation and accurate responses to requests as the key contact of the organization
- Maintain and develop professional competence through appropriate continuing education methods.
Organizational Beliefs and Values and the Health Promotion Model
- Commitment to the organization's vision, mission, principles and organizational philosophy and incorporates these beliefs into everyday work
- Work in a manner that incorporates health promotion and recognizes the determinants of health
- Understand and respect the process by which the community is involved in decision making
- Engage volunteers, participants/clients in leadership/capacity development opportunities
- Work to reduce barriers to access (i.e. transportation, childcare, hours of service)
- Take a leadership and facilitative role in working with individuals and communities to
- Provide a welcoming and supportive environment for participants and clients
- Act with professionalism and courtesy toward participants and clients, the general public and other staff members
- Work in a manner that preserves, maintains and respects confidentiality of participants, clients and staff information
- Respect and value the diversity of communities and individuals to reduce the impact and negative effects associated with various human behaviours including but not limited to sex, substance use and addictive behaviours
Integrated Team Work
- Incorporate and strengthen an interdisciplinary approach to the organization
- Support the organization's student and volunteer placement programs
- Contribute to the organization's peer feedback process
Occupational Health and Safety
- Work in a manner that meets all Health and Safety requirements to ensure a healthy and safe workplace
Organizational Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote an awareness of and participation in Quest programs and services by being a positive ambassador for the organization, engaging with social media and by preparing promotional materials and displays as well as conducting community presentations as required
- Contribute to the organization's activities to collect, analyze and report on data, and participate in community-based research
- Contribute to the organization's efforts to secure and maximize resources for current and new programs, services and activities
- Support the organization's fundraising and other special events
- Masters degree in Health Administration, Business or Public Administration or the equivalent
- Five years of progressive management experience, preferably in the community health/social service sector
- Five years of experience in budget negotiation and management, program administration and financial development preferred
- Knowledge of the community health centre model of care of health and well being, and the practice of harm reduction
- Experience working with people who experience barriers to service including those from diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds and members of the LGBT2sQ communities
- Ability to lead a combined interdisciplinary professional and community-based services team.
- Experience assessing systems and developing structures to accomplish goals
- Experience working with a policy governance board
- A clear understanding of trends and issues impacting organizational goals
- Sound knowledge of change management
- Knowledge of best business practices in operations, finance, and human resource management
- Skill in strategic and operational planning, and in program monitoring and evaluation. Demonstrated leadership and advocacy skills in working with government departments
- Capacity to lead the management team to plan, implement and evaluate strategy
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislation affecting community health services
Behavioural Competencies and Working Style
- Ability to provide motivational, enthusiastic leadership
- Demonstrated ability to lead inclusive, participatory teams
- Ability to build mutually beneficial relationships and networks between internal staff teams and external partners and funders to support organization’s goals
- Ability to impact and influence change
- A strategic and visionary thinker
- Natural relationship builder and networker
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates diplomacy, tact and respect when working with others
- Highly motivated, flexible and exceptionally well organized with a strong attention to detail
- Passionate believer in community health care and the role of the social determinants of health
To explore this opportunity further, please email your resume (filename: "Last name, First name - CV”), with "QUEST” in the subject line, in confidence to Larry Sartor at email@example.com.
Quest Community Health Centre complies with all applicable laws and regulations which prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, religion, creed, colour, national origin, gender identity and gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability or marital status or any other protected class. Quest Community Health Centre is committed to making our recruitment and selection process accessible to all candidates. Accommodations for disabilities are available upon request.
We thank all those that apply for the position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.